Sunday, January 30, 2011

A bad ankle and the A380

I am finally back!

It's great to be back home although I must say I most certainly didn't arrive home in style this time around. Nope. I hopped my way out of the plane, bought some duty-free, collected my luggage and hopped out to meet the Husband.

I had twisted my ankle coming out of the service apartment in London, just before I got on to the car that was waiting to pick me to the airport. I had missed a step just outside of the apartment and my right foot twisted, sending me tumbling like a drunk with my 30kg luggage.

Miraculously, I was able to limp around in Heathrow Airport, collecting VAT, checking-in my luggage and then buying some perfume and duty free my colleagues asked me to before slumping into a sofa at the SQ lounge.

I had been really looking forward to this flight back because it was on the A380 plane. The plane was so huge that they had 2 different doors - one for the upper deck and one for the lower deck. I was on the upper deck and whilst the seats for the business class weren't any different from that of the Boeing 777, the plane seemed to be a lot more spacious in certain areas.

Unfortunately, the cabin pressure on the flight affected my ankle so badly that even standing on my left leg, with minimal pressure on my right leg was really difficult. Mid-way through the flight, I asked if I could have something hot to apply for my legs. The steward came up with a creative solution of 2 tied rubber gloves with hot water put into a cloth bag. That really helped quite a bit to relief the pain but I was barely able to walk out when the plane arrived in Singapore.

This left me limping badly whenever I wanted to go to the rather spacious bathroom. Unfortunately, it also meant I wasn't able to roam around the huge A380 aircraft.

A380 or not, the service level of SQ business class left a big impression on me. All the stewards and stewardesses were pretty nice and treated this limping passenger really well.

The food on SQ business class is really quite good!

Whilst the Ee fu noodles taste distinctly like plane food, the lobster tasted surprisingly fresh. 
My favourite is the green peas though - sweet and crunchy!

Breakfast was good too - fresh fruits with yogurt

 Pancakes with clotted cream

 My innovative pack of heat treatment

11 comments:

My Sinfonia said...

Hi! Welcome back! Sorry to read about the twisted ankle. Hope you are getting better. I have been on the A380 on SQ's first flight MEL-SIN leg and was on upper deck too. The service was as usual very good...though I was not in business class! Waiting for Krisflyer miles to accumulate for next business class fare award...fingers drum drum...

Blur Ting said...

Oh no! Better heal quickly so you can enjoy the New Year!

Welcome home. You have been nmissed.

Anonymous said...

OKC, glad to see you back in blogosphere!

So sorry to hear about your ankle...I hope you are getting it treated.

Get well soon!

Wen-ai said...

Get well soon! Luckily it was just a "small twist". Geez... falling down the stairs with a 30 kg luggage is no joke.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Sinfonia, thanks! I actually do not like taking night flights with SQ. I think their service is great but they are too noisy! But business class is really different. The flat bed really helps you to sleep well! It was my first time anyway on business.. hahaha..

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Ting, thanks! I'm so glad to be back! Hopefully, the leg will heal soon!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Anon, I'm glad to be back and blogging too!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Wen Ai, hehe.. I usually travel light.. but the 30kg luggage is due to all that shopping in London.. Teehee! Thanks much for your well wishes!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

aye! din know u're back till your comment on me blog. i check in daily in the noon. going to see osteopath?

Petunia Lee said...

Ouch! Are you all better now. I'm glad you're back in blogosphere... and waiting to see all the yummies you shopped for, for I presume there are delectable edibles?

Malar said...

Oh dear! Hope you're feeling better now! Hope you enjoyed the Chinese New Year celebration too!